At a meeting on November 20, with representatives from the Manitoba School Boards Association (MSBA), the Manitoba Teachers’ Society (MTS), the St. James-Assiniboia School Division (SJASD), and the Retired Teachers’ Association of Manitoba (RTAM), the following assurances were provided for retired teachers who have the required skills and interest to apply:
- The application deadline has been extended to December 2, 2020. It should be noted that applications may be accepted after the deadline should not all positions be filled.
- The majority of teaching will be done from home. Some teacher training will be done virtually.
- The MSBA is working with the government to address the concerns retirees aged 55 to 65 have regarding the 120 day limit on teaching impacting their TRAF pensions.
- The RLSC will be a virtual K-8 school, focusing on the teaching of Math, Science, Language Arts and Social Studies with some Art and Physical Education/Health components. The RLSC will provide instruction in both English and French. In addition to 100 teachers, there will be a principal, resource teacher, special education teacher(s), and 20 educational assistance who will be dedicated to after-hours tutoring. The target population is a teacher-facilitated home-school-audience.
- Successful applicants will be hired on a term contract with full pay on the salary grid and benefits as of day one, according to the Collective Agreement between the St. James-Assiniboia School Division and the St. James-Assiniboia Teachers’ Association.
- Teachers will be supplied with identical pre-programed laptops to facilitate consistency of communication and software platforms.
RTAM is circulating this job application as information to which many of you may not have had access. The RTAM executive is satisfied that this job opportunity meets the safety standards set out in our joint proposal with the Manitoba Teachers’ Society on substitute teacher working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic. RTAM also recognizes that it is the individual choice of each member whether or not to apply.