Joan Dawson, Past President
I began my teaching career in 1972 with Frontier School Division in Ilford, Manitoba, where I taught grades 1 and 2 as well as supervised the kindergarten. I moved to Thompson in 1973 and spent the next 35 years teaching grades one to four and Reading Recovery. Over the years I often served as staff rep. for the Thompson Teachers’ Association and for two years I was the Grievance Chair. I retired in June of 2008 in Thompson.
- I joined RTAM upon retirement as well as the Thompson Association of Retired Educators (TARE).
- I am actively involved with TARE.
- I served as secretary/treasurer for 3 years, vice-president for 1 year, and president for 3 years.
- I am currently the past president of TARE for the second year.
- I have been a director on the RTAM Board for six years.
- I have chaired the Bylaws and Policy Committee for the last four years.
- I am a member of the KIT editorial committee, the Membership and Chapters committee and the Educational Advocacy/Wellness Committee.
- I have also served on the Strategic Plan ad hoc committee.
- This is my third year serving as the Secretary for the Board.
- For a second year I have co-chaired the RTAM bi-annual photo contest with Judy Olmstead from Brandon.
My other volunteer efforts are mainly with the Thompson Health Auxiliary where I was the manager of the Thompson Hospital Gift Shop for the past 9 years. I am now in charge of student volunteers and out of town purchasing. I also volunteer in the local schools as needed. My husband and I live in Paint Lake Provincial Park. I enjoy fishing, gardening, sewing, reading and stained glass.
Serving on the Board of Directors of RTAM has been a wonderful experience, and I would recommend that all other retired teachers consider serving as well.